Some Delayed Photos From Manchester- Inc. Re-Cast Exhibition

As always, I am a little bit slow on bits and bobs I've picked up or seen along the way. Unfortunately the camera on my phone is pretty awful so apologies for the lack of quality images.  


RE-CAST EXHIBITION

I had a trip to Manchester to see my amazing little sister's, art exhibition! It was honestly amazing. I mean, sure I'm a bit bias because it's my sister, but it was very professional, like a REAL artists exhibition. 




Katie was exhibiting along side another artist who also worked in ceramics. The two styles and concepts worked well together in the space because of both of the artists social issue stand points. Where are Katie's work was very much looking at a body related issue within the consumption and mass marketing of the female body, the other artist, Grace Igoe, was focusing more on the mind, communicating awareness of autism. 

This exhibition got me interested in creating with ceramics. Katie's work had a range of techniques in using ceramics, including making the ceramics a little translucent. These pieces where places over holes in the walls where natural light could come through. These where especially interesting as the colours of the pieces would change depending on the light outside. 

You can find out more here

MANCHESTER ART GALLERY

Whist we were there, we also visited Manchester Art Gallery. First we saw the Annie Swynnerton exhibition. I had never seen her work before and I can't say I cared that much for most of it although I appreciate the skill involved. She was also a pioneer in the arts world as well a challenger to conventions especially where women rights where concerned. 

However there where two paintings of hers that caught my eye. The image bellow reminded me of the painting I had done of myself marching with the mountain. Mine was more of a self portrait focusing on my face but here the female form had become part of the mountain. the way the bottom half fades away into the mountain reminds me of how the female form merges with that for the fish in becoming the mermaid. The colours too, as well as within image second down, also remind me slightly of the way i use colour, bold and vibrant whist creating a contrast. 




A FEW OTHERS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE


 Peter Graham, "A Spate in The Highlands"1866, Oil on Canvas.

This painting caught my attention as it is very much reflecting the idea of the sublime which was a strong inspiration for artists during the 17th century. It was great to see a painting like this in the flesh as it where rather than in a book or online, particularly now that I am aware and involved with the sublime. The lightened area on this where one of the most striking elements to this painting. It creates a contrast to the darkened scene and raging torrent. 


Samuel Fysee-Rahamin Ali Pathar, Kashmir, 1930, Watercolour on Paper.

A contrast to the Peter Graham painting above, this is a lot softer and felt like a misty mountains scene. I like the limited use of colour and simplified shapes. 



Do Ho Suh, "Who Am We? (Brown)" 1999, Iris Print on Summerset Paper.

I like how this print changed dramatically from studying far away from it to when you move closer. It made me think a little more on the idea I have had in regards to my work on mountains and the sublime, being that of macro/micro. The idea was to have petty dishes or files etc. that would contain a minute drawing (image, sculpture...) of a mountain. 


David Hockney, "A Rake's Progress" 1961-1963 Portfolio of 16 Prints, Etching ad aquatint.

As I have been thinking of producing a series, these drew my attention. That and the restricted use of colour which links them all together before even looking at the details. I also liked that they held both etching and aquatint, creating a slight but apparent contrast on another level. 


Not at the Museum but next to a pub. Manchester has some great street art and graffiti. 

Comments

Popular Posts