Custom Painted Jackets- A New Era

I've always been interested in hand painted or customised clothing but in practice it has always been something that I do for myself, editing jackets, hoody, trousers, t-shirts, etc. DIY culture has always been pretty important and has influenced a lot of my creative endeavours. 

A while ago I painted my pleather jacket to which I had one of the most positive responses to my work. I've been wanting to do more but of course, time is a factor. Anyway I had a little bit of time (and a new jacket) so thought I'd spend some time on it. 






And thus, the Sphinx Space jacket was born. The response to this was also great! I put it on Instagram and people showed there interest in having their own jacket painted. 

Prior to this I did also experiment on a t-shirt. I think it came out well but it's not as wearable as, say, a screen-printed garment as the paint (just acrylic) hardens. 


The second jacket I did was not a commission but I have put it up for sale online. I wanted to do this for practice mainly and improve the way I work on this sort of material. I chose a desert theme for this one. 








From this I had more interest and got a very open commission on a jacket I already had as well as one which I haven't not yet done as they want the work on a jacket they own, so I'm just waiting for that. 

I also did some further research into the paint used on the jackets. I has been using just acrylic which as far I had searched  it seemed like this would be the best way. However after more research I came across a Liquitex Fabric Medium. You mix this in with the acrylic and it is supposed to make the paint less likely to crack by making it a little softer. 

For the first commission I used the medium in the paint and it most definitely does help! For this commission I chose more of a jungle theme, painting a large tiger's head and a snake around the shoulders. 







This again was met with positive feedback on social media and I have had some more requests! 

Although it is somewhat hard to paint on this sort of martial, especially if it a little worn, I love doing these! Of course, I have chosen what to paint so far and even the commission was very open but I would love to keep doing these. The idea that people are actually walking around with my work on them is amazing. 

If anyone wants a custom painted jacket, get in touch! I am not available to paint anymore until the end of September but I am happy to discus what you would like and work something out! 

Comments

Popular Posts