Looking at an Interview with Matthew Frame

I got an e-mail from MOO that had a few stories in it. One was titled "the importance of having a studio space". This instantly drew  me in because I currently don't have a studio space and I am really struggling with my creative work, be that for my Masters, personal or commissions. It worries me because after I finish my Masters I will have absolutely no place to go, at least now I can go and use the computers and the Library and have printing facilities. 

Anyway here is a link to the interview with Matthew Frame: The importance of having a studio space

Some things I want to take from this:


  • He works with analogue techniques (woo hasn't given in to digital!)
  • "When it comes to illustration for books, I like to read the book at least twice. The first time, I’ll fully immerse myself in the narrative and the second, I like to make notes in my sketch book."
  • For murals: "Apart from the medium and the scale, things don’t really change that much. I’ll always do a site visit and take lots of photographs. Then, I’ll move on to concepts, creating thumbnail sketches in the same way as I would for a book brief and send them off the client. I’ll go through a couple of stages of idea development with the client and once the final design is signed off, I’ll usually spend about a week on some scaffolding, painting and bringing the design to life."
  • When ever I've read about illustrators going freelance it seems to have always "just happened", gawd, I wish it would "just happen" for me! 
  • Getting a studio: "moving into the studio space has really helped me focus, partitioning up my day and planning my workload better. Having somewhere to go has also helped me to approach things in more of a professional way."
  • Good sites to look for exhibitions: Art News & Arts Jobs 
  • He suggest "printing your work onto postcards and mailing them" to anyone who might be interested, this could include galleries! 

Comments

Popular Posts