Sustainable Practice Take 2- Vegware

After my previous post on this subject, I got in contact with Jenny from Anything But Plastic to get some feedback from her as well as to ask if she has ever been asked about biodegradable plastic salable wallets or if she knew if there was anyone that supply these. 

I am very grateful that she got back to me and she thought I had a good idea but has never been asked about this product before. 

She also made me aware that the original cellophane is actually plant based and so is biodegradable. There are of course knock offs of this and she gave me a tip to distinguish which is that cellophane tends to make a crackling sound almost like sweet wrappers. Another point she made is that even when cellophane is used people just think it's plastic as there's not an easy way to tell, and people generally don't think about it, so it would be good it there was a way to tell so that the product could be composted after use.  

She also advised that I look at Vegware. On their Beyond Packaging page, see here, there is something I hadn't really thought about:

"You can’t recycle food with plastic in it, and you can’t recycle plastic with food on it. Moving to compostable catering disposables means that food and packaging waste can be recycled together and provides the only true recycling solution for zero waste in food service." 

Although I'm not looking at food packaging, it falls in with this. They also have an effective way of measuring their social revenue: 


This I think is a good example of a brand who have done it right. Their branding and marketing is good too and now that I've been reminded of this brand, I actually remember seeing the logo on a number of products. 



They also have downloadable fact sheets which is amazing. Find them here. There was one that particularly caught me eye: Why compostable is better than degradable. I hadn't thought about this before, I thought biodegradable = better than plastic. In actual fact degradable products fragments into lots of small pieces which can make their way into the sea and eaten by plankton which are then eaten by fish and perhaps then eaten by us. This is oxo-degradable products in particular. 

Compostable  products however can be put into personal composters or commercial composters with food waste. 

Lots to read on their site so do go over and have a read. I have sent an e-mail to them to see if there is anything they can tell me regarding sealable wallets. 

Comments

Popular Posts